The Aadhaar project was started for providing a unique identification document or number to Indians.
Linking certain documents with aadhaar card has been made compulsory by the government to make it easier for the public to avail different kinds of government schemes.
Here is a list of things that are to be compulsorily linked with Aadhar:
1.) Bank Account To be linked before 31st December 2017
Do this ASAP or else your account will cease to be operational after 31st December. This process can be done online through net banking or offline by filling a form.
For linking your card to your bank account offline, you have to fill the ‘Aadhaar to Bank Account Seeding’ form and submit it to your bank. This form can be downloaded from your bank website or collected from your bank’s branch.
Pro Tip: I would suggest using the online linking process instead of the offline process as it will save you a lot of time. If you haven’t registered for online banking here’s your guide: NetBanking Explained.
Why is this compulsory?
- To ensure that people get benefits of government welfare schemes such as pensions, funds, scholarships and subsidies directly into their bank accounts.
- To help the government identify those people who are in need of the subsidies and welfare payments.
2.) PAN: Also to be linked before 31st March 2018
If you want your income tax returns I suggest you do this before the deadline.
There are different ways to link Pan with Aadhar:
In order to link it online you can follow these steps:
To make it easier the government has also given an SMS option :
You need to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161 in following format:
UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
Example: UIDPAN 3421342112341234 AAAAAE12EE
Apart from these two methods there is also an offline method where you need to fill in a form. This method is mostly to sort out the problem of mismatch in the data of PAN and Aadhaar through other methods.
Why is this compulsory?
- To reduce corruption and frauds related to fake PAN card numbers.
- To identify tax evaders and reduce the possibility of black money circulation.
3.) Provident Fund Account: To be linked before 30th June 2017
In order to enjoy all schemes such as Life Insurance, pension, provident funds offered by EPFO- A body that manages money in your EPF account it is compulsory to link Aadhar with this account.
Linking Aadhar to EPF account simply means linking it to UAN. UAN is a universal account number given to every individual who holds an EPF account with EPFO. So next time you read ‘Link Aadhar to UAN’ or ‘Link Aadhar to EPF’ don’t get confused it means the same.
You can link your Aadhar with EPF account offline by filling an Aadhar Seeding Application form. You need to fill your UAN, Aadhaar number and other relevant information in this form. This should be attached with self-attested copies of your UAN, PAN, and Aadhaar. You then have to submit all these documents at field offices of the EPFO or Common Services Centres (CSC). Once the verification is completed, your Aadhaar number will be linked to your EPF account and you will receive a message once your Aadhaar is linked to your EPF account on your registered mobile number.
Why is this compulsory?
- Subscribers who have done so will be able to apply for final PF settlement, pension withdrawal benefit and part PF withdrawal directly.
- Since Aadhar is also linked to bank account all claims will directly be credited to your bank account.
4.) Mobile number This one can wait till 6th february 2017
Bogged with telecom companies asking you to do this. Just get done with it already, before they stop your phone calls too!
But before doing this make sure that your mobile number is added to your Aadhaar card. If you haven’t done this you can download and print the Aadhaar Update/Correction Form from the website, provide the numbers and then sign it and submit it to the aadhaar office.
To link your Mobile Number to Aadhar you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the closest retail store of your respective telecom operator
- Submit your mobile number and Aadhaar card details
- Then submit the OTP received on your mobile number
- Get fingerprint and biometrics verified
- Within 24 hours you’ll receive a confirmation message
Sadly this one cannot be done online so you’ve got to sweat it out at their stores!
Why is this compolosory?
For the government to be able to communicate with all citizens in the country about important government services and other critical information from time to time.
5.) Voter Id
Linking Voter Id with Aadhar has been made compulsory in order to be eligible to vote. This is done to eliminate multiple voter ID cards in one person’s name, thus cleaning up the voting system, finally corrupt free voting!
Linking your Aadhaar with your voter ID can also be done through:
- SMS sent to 166 OR 51969 in the following format:
ECILINK < EPIC_Number > < Aadhaar_Number >
- Submiting an application to your Booth Level Officer (BLO).
6.) Ration Card
Many times people take more than their share of ration or people not eligible for ration get it, depriving others of it. To avoid such instances, the government has made it compolsory to link ration cards with an Aadhar card.
Like most other documents, the ration and Aadhaar card can be linked online and offline. This must be done from the Aadhaar seeding website.
- To link them offline, you need photocopies of your ration card, Aadhaar copies of your family members and a passport photograph of the head of the family. You will also need a photocopy of your bank passbook if your bank account is not linked to your Aadhaar.
- Submit these to the ration office. You will be notified by SMS or email once the documents have reached the relevant department.
Those were the 6 important things you need to link your Aadhar Card with. Have you linked yours yet?